Learn to Relax is a skills-based stress reduction and relaxation training program. This unique program gives you reliable methods to relax your body, calm your mind and feel more in control of your health and wellbeing.
Learn to Relax is based on the simple truth that it is impossible to feel tense and relaxed at the same time! Modern life is busy and demanding. Many of us have become so used to being ‘switched on’ that we’ve effectively forgotten how to slow down and recharge ourselves. Learn to Relax reverses this habit by teaching you how to re-discover, and activate, your body’s natural relaxation response.
The program also offers you the experience of mental clarity and peace of mind through the practice of mindfulness. Mindfulness is the practice of bringing full awareness to what is happening within and around you – rather than being lost in the chatter of your mind! You’ll learn how to integrate mindfulness strategies into your everyday life so that you can remain focused and balanced in even the most challenging situations.
Learn to Relax is grounded in the principles of mind-body medicine. Stress impacts our physical and psychological health – so Learn to Relax offers an integrated approach that addresses both the body and the mind. The program combines mindfulness-based stress reduction strategies with a range of deep relaxation methods including meditation, breathing practices and gentle stretching. The techniques offered in the program are evidence-based.
You will learn simple and effective techniques to:
- Recognise the signs and symptoms of stress in your body and mind
- Gain control of your nervous system so that you can voluntarily calm and relax yourself
- Activate your body’s innate healing potential
- Slow down and still your mind
- Improve your focus and concentration
- Let go of unwanted thoughts and emotions
- Improve your sleep
- Increase your energy and vitality
- Elicit a deep state of rest that nourishes, rejuvenates and restores your whole body-mind.
Learn to Relax can benefit people seeking reliable methods to:
- Reduce stress, tension and worry.
- Manage stress-related health conditions including:
- Anxiety and panic
- Sleep disturbance
- Headaches and migraines
- Chronic pain
- Immune disorders
- High blood pressure
- Cardiovascular disease
- Digestive disorders
- Mild to moderate depression
- Enhance concentration, resilience and personal performance.
- Develop a greater sense of wellbeing and a more relaxed approach to life.
Learn to Relax complements medical and psychological treatment, and actively engages you in your own health and wellbeing.
Learn to Relax is a six-session program of experiential learning that includes:
- Information about the relationship between stress and disease
- Somatic relaxation methods including progressive muscle relaxation, controlled breathing and gentle stretching
- Cognitive relaxation methods including meditation practices
- Mindfulness-based stress management and self-awareness strategies
- Self-management techniques for integrating stress-reduction methods into daily life
- A comprehensive program manual and six audio mp3s, and
- Your commitment to home practice!
In each session you will learn and practice a specific relaxation method, explore psychological strategies for reducing stress, and develop techniques for applying these skills in your everyday life.
As with any skill, your ability to experience relaxation will improve with practice. Program participants are encouraged to commit to daily home practice.
Learn to Relax is available as an individual training program.
Six sessions at $160 per session.
Sessions one and two = 90 minutes. Sessions three to six = 75 minutes.
A Medicare rebate of $77.10 per session is available when referred by a GP under the Better Access to Mental Health Care initiative.